Comfort foods- Our guest favorites!
There are few things more comforting than preparing and enjoying a meal together, especially one that nourishes the body, mind and soul. During these cold and overcast winter months some of us retreat to our kitchen hearth seeking solace, warmth and comfort while eagerly and longingly anticipating the first signs of spring and all that comes with it: the first buds on the trees,crocuses busily pushing their way through the pungent earth,returning robins,longer and warmer days….
And speaking of spring (although winter here is lovely too!) and as many of you no doubt know we are blessed to have acquired a love for growing some of our very own produce in our family garden, all of which is either preserved or immediately used for creating many wonderful and delicious meals. At Haven Of Hope Farm B&B we try to pass along a small part of this seemingly “lost art” of garden to table living in each and every one of our guest breakfasts.
Regardless of the season, here at Haven Of Hope Farm B&B we continue to enjoy the privilege of sharing our farm table with the many and various guests who enter our door. Whether their time with us corresponds with us at the nearby health facility, an extended personal retreat, or simply a respite from a long day’s journey through the area, our hope and desire for each visitor always remains the same: “enter as a guest and leave as a friend.”
This month we would like to share a few of our favorite recipes with our followers and guests.
Looking back, we recall that some of the ones included here are the traditional childhood favorites, inspired and prepared by our parents. We hope you enjoy trying them out for yourself and then sharing the delicious results of your labors with others near and dear.
Crunchy Granola ( Makes 2 Quarts)
This recipe can be enjoyed on its own or as a delicious breakfast cereal mixed with fruit and yogurt.
1/2 cup of vegan margarine
1 cup honey or brown sugar
1 Tsp cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup dried cranberries
1. Over medium low heart combine and met the began margarine, honey or brown sugar and
2. Mix together with remaining ingredients.
3. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. After baking, let cool and place in a glass jar or plastic storage container.
Trail Mix Muffins: (Makes approx. 8-10) delicious muffins
This is one of our guest favorites!
2 cups of Nameste Gluten Free flour blend
1 cup organic cane sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cups grated carrot
1/2 cups dried cranberries
1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
1 cup coconut
1 apple pealed and grated
1 cup vegan margarine
2 tsp vanilla
1. In a large bowl mix together flour,sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
2. Stir in grated carrot, cranberries, nuts, coconut and apple.
3 In a separate bowl,beat eggs, vegan margarine,vanilla and stir into flour mixture until
batter is blended well.
4. Spoon into muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
5. Sprinkle oatmeal and cinnamon on top for decoration and flavoring.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until done.
Fruit & Yogurt Parfait:
Our guests really love this for breakfast!
3/4 cup of granola
3/4 cup of plain or vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup of fruit-blue berries, raspberries, or strawberries
Optional-2 tbsp of whipped cream for topping
1. Gently layer together yogurt and fruit.
2. Alternately layer granola and fruit mixture.
Serve in a stemless wine glass. Enjoy!
Delicious Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies:
Our guests love the smell and taste of these freshly baked cookies upon their arrival!
1 cup vegan margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup of Nameste all purpose baking flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups steel cut oats
1 cup of semi sweet carob chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In large bowl cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time and stir in vanilla.
4. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture until just blended.
5. Mix in the oats and chocolate chips.
6. Drop heaping spoonful onto ungreased baking sheets or covered with parchment paper.
7. Bake for 12 minutes and then allow cookies to cool on baking sheet.
Delicious Chicken Curry Vegetable Soup (6-8 servings)
This recipe has been enjoyed by our family for many years. It is a go-to and trusted source of comfort during cold and flu season!
6 cups water
5 thin boneless chicken breasts
5 carrots slice thin
4 celery stalks
1 med sized onion
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tsp Montreal steak spice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry
1 tsp tumeric
* Add salt and pepper to taste
1.To make the broth, combine the five boneless chicken breasts and water in a large pot and
cook gently until chicken is tender. Cut chicken into thin slices.
2. Combine and add the remaining ingredients to the broth and simmer gently for 1 hour stirring occasionally.